Contrasting A Faith I Respect, Against a Faith I Do Not Respect

A random Jehovah's Witness, ...

a PERSON I regard as SACRED, ...
 
is very unhappy with me today.

He is so unhappy with me 
that he has 'declared null' 
 my worthiness as a person
to have any of my words weighed; at least, when it comes to matters of religious faith. 
 

In other words, he has committed an Ad Hom/Poisoning The Well fallacy; to dodge a matter he's uncomfortable thinking about. I'm not taking it personally. However, I see this as another opportunity to further exercise my mind about yet-another important topic.

[Here] I offered a 'word of caution' to JWs, about how they relate to their own religion. In fact, honestly, my chosen statement there was very charitable. At the time, I didn't even mention all the harm it does. Nor did I encourage them to leave their religion. Instead, I said only this:
"I am always happy for anyone who has a purpose in life that makes them happy and helps them get up in the morning.

But at the same time, once people realize a religion (any and all religions) are just simply untrue, ... they do end up 'paying back' that "emotional loan"; with compounded interest.

This is why I always say "fine. Stay in any religion that makes you happy. But make sure you aren't making huge personal sacrifices for it, so that it won't be a net-loss for you once you someday accidentally outgrow it."

 
In reply, a random JW attempted to make me as a person unworthy to consider. In other words he avoided engaging with the point, by attacking the person. For that, he said my words are "(the) words of a faithless person".  My reply is this:

That depends on what you mean by "faith".

Do you really recommend "faith" in general?

Catholics, Mormons, and Muslims have faith.
Their faith-mindset made them very vulnerable to being manipulated into anti-factual, illogical, and exploitative systems.

What's that worth to you?

Or, did you really only mean "faith" in JW theological narrative and authority?

Note:
I believe that spirituality is a legitimate domain
of exploration, discovery and growth.

This is one of the reasons I do not identify as an "atheist". 
I'm not polemic enough, in my anti-religiosity, 
 for that label to fit very comfortably. 

Thus,
for example,
I'm able see the beauty and the wisdom inherent to faith-systems like Native American Spiritual narratives.

I respect that faith more than a Christian-fundamentalist (or even a Christian moderate) is allowed to.

Granted, I do not have that faith. But I respect it. Unfortunately, the only way I'd ever have a longshot-chance at maneuvering my own mind into that beautiful and practical faith ... is this: I might be able to, IF I plant the garden of my mind into that spiritual environment, and then semi-isolate myself away from all contrary cultural narratives.
If I do all of that, and then keep investing into it, my mind just might begin to acclimate into it.

It's not a guarantee.

It might not work,

I might have accidentally
already acquired too much cognitive independence.

I might have accidentally made myself
(partially) immune to its charms.

But I admit ... I am often tempted to try.

Because, in the end, "life is but a dream", in how we experience it. At the same time, I do NOT feel 'beholden' to the Universe (nor to whoever-or-whatever made this universe 'happen') to experience it in any particular kind of way. My journey belongs to me. That being said, I actually would like a more beautiful waking-dream to bathe my spirit in. [Note: "spirit", here, is not meant in a supernatural sense. I only mean the subjective experience of being me, and also how that manifests within my personality] I'd also value a cohesive and healthy people to be adopted into;
-if I could find a tribal region that it still healthy enough, after all they've been through.

In fact, Native American faith-based culture has two amazing perks that JW culture doesn't have.

1. Native Indian Spiritual culture (at least, the general version of it that is commonly known)
abides by the ethic "Do No Harm".
JWs can't honestly lay claim to that.
They do harm to others (even often their own children) ... hoping and rationalizing by "faith" that their deity has a good reason to insist.

2. Native Indian Spiritual culture
neither asks, manipulates, nor demands
great personal sacrifice to gods, nor any other kind of spirit.
Instead, they are encouraged to make socially-balanced (equitably reciprocal) sacrifices for each other, out of love and respect for:
the sacredness of the whole.

Thus, people who depart (either slowly or suddenly) from that "faith" never feel angry. Because they didn't waste any of their life on it.

They were never weaponized against the LGBT, nor against people who leave, nor against atheists, nor against themselves.

Nor were they directed to * forsake furthering their education, nor * forsake furthering their financial security, nor * forsake a loving connection to other humans.
 Thus, unlike JWs,
they were never directed to sabotage their own access to all the things education provides ... and which money can literally BUY that EMPOWERS people to protect their own health. 

Nor are they placed under social or theological pressure to "donate" huge portions of finite and precious personal resources (time, focus, energy, money, etc) so they can go around telling everyone else "join us or else be thrown away like trash forever; on a prophetic Trash Day".
 
Neither are they manipulated into demonizing and victim-blaming the people who get tricked into false religions.

But the JWs are manipulated into doing that; 
same as all Christian and Islamic Fundamentalist factions. 

Abrahamic fundamentalist religions are all the SAME, about everything that really matters. 
That's why you guys all focus on "setting yourselves apart" with dogmatic bullshit. 


Neither does Native American spiritual culture manipulate their people into demonizing anyone who is casually disinterested (and/or: rational critical) about their faith-system.

Neither are they manipulated into demonizing everyone thinks, lives, and loves outside of strict-but-arbitrary moral-parameters.

Neither are they manipulated into authoritarianism; thinking that "Might Makes Right".
Nor that random fallible humans are qualified to speak as a "moral authority" OVER them on behalf of any Spirit.

It's not a belief system that systematically implants fear of "dangerous knowledge" into vulnerable minds; as a way to control minds by controlling what those minds are allowed to learn.

Thus, when a Native Indian strays away from that culture, nobody demonizes them for it.
Nor does the departing-person have anything to be angry about, when it comes to what their Native cultural-faith took from them. Because it took nothing from them.

Meanwhile,
BOTH their faith-system and yours are un-falsifiable.
However, they are unfalsifiable for different reasons.

Theirs is un-falsifiable because it makes no testable claims about the physical world.

In contrast, ... 
Yours is un-falsifiable because:

Even though yours DOES make testable claims about the physical world, ...
you're not allowed to give honest weight to the factual results of those tests.
-facts which DO, in fact, debunk foundational claims of the JW-religious narrative.

Instead, JW-ism hides from facts,
by indulging uncritical Conspiracy Theories;
 about all of academia. 

The same facts debunk all literal versions of Christianity. 

In response,
you all HIDE from those facts via the same psycho-manipulative games. 

So then, your religion shouldn't feel singled out, whenever people commit the 'moral crime' of merely noticing that those things are happening.  

I'm not against "faith".

I'm not even really against partially "blind faith";
just so long as a BLIND EYE is the eye that only sees the dream.
-while a Not-Blind-Eye courageously and accountably SEES and avoids any HARM that dream might pose ("might", in the absence of compassion and due diligence); for the sake of others, and for self.
Seek balance 
 in all things. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gods Exist; As A Way Of Thinking And Speaking That We Can Grow Past

Responding to "HOW DO YOU KNOW?" that (any) historical issue is a settled issue(?)

Christian-Fundamentalism's Relationship To Racism