Is It Arrogant To Abstain From Becoming A Christian Fundamentalist?

A Christian Fundamentalist has said

"I love accountability, i think thats what most athiests really run from, accountability to God lol.

You have no idea, I felt the best peace, a supernatural peace, April 27th 2007, coincidentally at the worst time in my life, in a jail cell looking at 15 years.

The very moment I was experiencing the worst time of my life, I experienced the most peace I've ever felt, after I was instructed to call out to Christ, I did, i felt what i can describe is a peace ive never felt before, almost like a clairvoyant peace, i just knew everything was going to be ok, ever since that day, I was born again.

I've experienced countless of times, people, places, things, it takes more faith not to believe, than to believe, so when arrogant atheists or agnostics come at me like I'm the arrogant one. I'm laughing because they have no idea what I know now.

My life now, amazing. Everything I prayed to God for I have now. I can't help but say something and spread the good news. John 3:16 !!!!!! 🤍🕊"

-----
 My reply to him: 

I honestly am happy for you.

But I want you to go study about something called "egocentrism".

It's an easy mistake to make.
So I'm not trying to give you a hard time about it.
But I just want to help you understand.

Your life experiences and the way your mind works
are unique to you.

Other people have different life experiences.

If they have different life experiences, then their mind will develop differently.

I understand how transformative, freeing, and cleansing it can be
to have the experience you had.

I also understand the psychological mechanisms in-play.

But if someone hasn't hit rock-bottom, ...

If they haven't reached a point in their life where they feel overly yucky, or empty, or blank, or ashamed, ...

then they won't experience a need to be cleansed and freed (or "redeemed") from it.

They won't need a new sense of identity. Because their established identify feels fine, and they feel connected to their own self in a deep and durable way.

In that case, they aren't trying to evade being freed from a great weight.
They aren't carrying something like that.
So there's nothing to be freed from.

So that means they aren't being arrogant, if they don't turn to a "God" to "redeem" them.
They just don't have anything to be redeemed from.

Granted, sometimes a non-Christian does carry around a problem like that.
But even then, ...
they aren't being arrogant to think "I'll handle it".

They're being Stoic, to think "I got this".
To say "Whatever I did, I did.
Whatever I owe, I owe.
And whatever I have to do to pay on those debts, I'll do it.

I'll EARN my gradually-improving circumstances, and peace, and identity.
And I'll emerge stronger, as a result of doing the work".




Whereas, the Christian narrative bypasses all of that pain, hard work, and personal sacrifice, to have someone else be accountable.

In their narrative, 
the guilty person
imagines that an innocent person ...
 payed their moral debts for them;
 the debt of their own transgressions against others (what Christians call "sins").


If that mental narrative helps "clean the slate" for your mind, so that you can begin to live your best life, then ... ok.
It just does.

Is that ethical?
No.
It is logical?
No.
It is an objectively factual "truth" about a literal deity?
No.
Is it in harmony with Stoic principals?
No. 

But life is hard. 

And sometimes people take shortcuts; if they know they don't have the inner strength to do the heavy lifting. 

But people really aren't being arrogant to accept adult-level responsibility for their life. 

Nor are atheistic-skeptics being arrogant to assume they are NOT the reason the universe even exists.
That sounds like sober humility to me.

 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gods Exist; As A Way Of Thinking And Speaking That We Can Grow Past

Responding to "HOW DO YOU KNOW?" that (any) historical issue is a settled issue(?)

Christian-Fundamentalism's Relationship To Racism