The limited value of religious testimony

 [Originally written as a reply to a Christian-religious fundamentalist]

Asking a fellow fallible human
about the existence, nature, and will of a literal "God"
would make no sense.

It would be like asking you if Super-Intelligent aliens exist, what they want from me, and if I should submit to them (whichever religious person) ... as an authorized voice of those aliens.

Even if you had a fantastic story about being abducted and probed, ...

Me hearing it
does not =
me "knowing" it.

You can't function as a surrogate me.

If you experientially know something,
you can't pass that on as "knowledge".

You could only pass it on as a claim.

If your evidence is lousy, then that's not my problem.

If your claim is non-credible, that's not my problem either.

If I don't believe you, ...
EVEN IF it's all true, ...
I have not morally ~wronged~ nor "rejected" your favorite alien.
---

If I eventually get abducted and probed too, ...

I would then, finally, experientially "know" that aliens exist; provided that their tech is so far beyond ours that it can't be faked.

And yet, if those aliens claimed to be "all knowing",
that would be pointless. Because all-knowing-ness cannot be demonstrated.

If they claimed to have literally always existed,
that too would be pointless.
Because that cannot be demonstrated either.

If they claimed to be literally infinite in power or knowledge, ...
the same problem exists.
Those claims cannot be demonstrated.

Now, if I have an encounter with a fellow who identifies himself as a "God" or a "Jesus", ...
what is that to me?

They could not demonstrate ANY of the traits which might differentiate them from a super-alien.
So I'd have to take their word for being "more than that" ... or not.

They could tamper with the chemicals in my brain, to create a sense of euphoria.

Using that method, they could also create a mental receptiveness to suggestion.
But then again, aliens could do that too.
In fact, governments and religions have gotten really skilled at that.
And let's be honest, this IS the "experience" you speak of.

In fact, I bet you didn't even hear real voice or see a "Jesus".

You FELT something.

The words which DEFINED that experience for you ... were the words provided to you by mere fallible humans.

So do I believe you've had such an experience?
Yep. I sure do believe that.

I also believe it when a Catholic, or a Jehovah's Witness, or a devoted North Korean Kim-cultists claims it.
I believe them.
They really did have those "experiences" with: what they call "the divine".

---
That's not the thing I doubt.

What I'm doubting is their 100% subjective interpretations of those experiences.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gods Exist; As A Way Of Thinking And Speaking That We Can Grow Past

Responding to "HOW DO YOU KNOW?" that (any) historical issue is a settled issue(?)

Christian-Fundamentalism's Relationship To Racism